BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)

The Auction Mart was a commercial building on St. Bartholomew's Lane, near the Royal Exchange and Bank of England.  It was constructed by a joint stock company that was comprised of auctioneers and appears in 1829.  By 1873, it had been replaced by the Alliance Bank. 

The Auction Mart is not labeled in Reynold's 1859 map but is shown as a small black square below "T" in Throgmorton Street, to the right of BANK in cell K 22. 

LOCATION IN 1859 REYNOLDS MAP

(Quarter Mile Section - K 22)

Sources Elmes J. Metropolitan Improvements or London in the Nineteenth Century, 1829.

View of Auction Mart in 1829

Click here to see T. H. Shepherd's Sketch

Old Ordnance Survey Maps of 1873

Click here to see more details 14 years later