BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)

Blackfriars Bridge, designed by Robert Mylne, was built in 1760-9 with nine semi-elliptical Portland stone arches.  The bridge was originally named William Pitt Bridge but was changed to Blackfriars Bridge, the title  favored by the general public.  While at first charging a crossing fee, the bridge was freed from toll in 1785 following public protest and riots.  

Two years after the death of John Snow in 1858, the Blackfriars Bridge was replaced with the current structure (1860-9).

LOCATION IN 1859 REYNOLDS MAP

(Quarter Mile Section - L 19)

Sources:

Barker F, Jackson P. The History of London in Maps, 1990.

Richardson J. The Annals of London, 2000.

Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.

Blackfriars Bridge in 1802 (until 1860) 

Click here to see 57 years earlier

Blackfriars Bridge and St. Paul's Cathedral in 1827

Click here to see Shepherd's picture

Blackfriars Bridge 1800s 

Click here to see undated picture

Site in Stanford's Map of 1862

Click here to see more details three years later

Old Ordnance Survey Map of 1873

Click here to see more details 14 years later

Historical Account Published in 1874 

Click here to read of the Blackfriars Bridge