BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)
The house was built in about 1612 for Sir Baptist Hicks who was created Viscount Campden of Campden, Gloucestershire in 1628. In 1751 the house was sold to Stephen Pitt, whose descendants in the nineteenth century rented the house to William Frederick Woolley, who in turn spent considerable sums in 1847 on restoration, including the edition of a private theater. Charles Dickens acted at the house in a charity performance of The Lighthouse by Wilkie Collins in July 1855.
Source: Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.
Old Ordnance Survey Map of 1871
Click here to see more details 12 years later