BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)
In 1717, there were grand intentions for Cavendish Square. It was laid out by John Prince for Edward Harley, 2nd Earl of Oxford, as the nucleus of the Harley-Cavendish estate. Harley had married Lady Henrietta Cavendish Holles, and named the square after her. The plans were stymied by a building slump, but eventually in the later eighteenth century the square was further developed. In John Snow's time, a bronze statue by Thomas Campbell was erected in the square in 1851 of Lord (William) George Bentinck, the 2nd Duke of Portland who had married the Cavendishes daughter.
Source: Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.
Porter R. London - A Social History, 1994.
Old Ordnance Survey Map of 1870
Click here to see more details 11 years later