BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)
Hanover Terrace was designed in 1822 by John Nash as 20 houses, arranged at the front in a single group with a continuous roofed gallery along the ground floor. Wilkie Collins (1824-89), early master of the mystery story, lived here with his mother and brother, following the death in 1847 of his father, William Collins, the well-known landscape painter. Collins was an admirer and friend of Charles Dickens, both influencing each other in their writing style. In 1852, the Collins family held a dance at Hanover Terrace for 70 artists and writers, including Dickens who hosted the buffet.
The following description was published in 1828 by the architect and author, James Elmes.
Hanover Terrace which is also a design of Mr. Nash's, and in a more grammatical style of architecture than that which we have now left (he refers to Sussex House). It has a center and two wing buildings, of the Doric order, the acroteria of which surmounted by statues and other sculptural ornaments in terra cotta. The center building is crowned by a well proportioned pediment, the tympanum of which is embellished-with statues and figures in a wretched style of art, which the architect would do well to remove. The style of architecture employed by the artist is Italian or Palladian, and remarkably well adapted for the description of dwelling houses, of which the structure is composed. The capitals are well proportioned in design, and well executed, but entablature is weak in profile and inefficient in character, for the height of the building to which it is appropriated.
The stories of the mansions are lofty, and elegantly finished, and the domestic arrangement of the various rooms convenient, and laid out in a masterly style. The situation of this very pretty terrace is near the north western extremity of the western branch of the lake which embellishes and refreshes the park. The islet which faces its northernmost wing sweetly diversifies the scene, and gives a charming sylvan character to the prospect from the houses.
The location in the 1859 map is in the lower center of cell G9.
Elmes J. Metropolitan Improvements or London in the Nineteenth Century, 1828.
Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.