BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)

The Lambeth Palace is the official residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury, the leader of the Church of England.  The site was acquired from local monks in 1190.  Over much opposition, the buildings slowly started to appear, with the chapel dating back to 1228.  The gatehouse was built in 1486-1501 in the Tudor style.  In 1828-34,  the facility was extensively restored and rebuilt in gothic style, including the residential sections.  

Outside the palace is the Church of St. Mary at Lambeth, acquired by the Archbishops of Canterbury in 1197.  It was rebuilt several times in the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries, and finally again in 1851-2.  The design was intended to match the 14th century tower of the Lambeth Palace. 

LOCATION IN 1859 REYNOLDS MAP

(Quarter Mile Section - P 16)

Source: Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.

Exterior of Lambeth Palace in 1829-30

Click here to view 29 years earlier

Cruchley's Map of 1846

Click here to see more details 13 years earlier

Picture in 1849

Click here to see palace ten years earlier

Photograph in 1857

Click here to see the Gatehouse two years earlier

Picture in 1858

Click here to see the palace one year earlier

Site in Stanford's Map of 1862

Click here to see more details three years later

Old Ordnance Survey Map of 1872

Click here to see more details 13 years later