BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)
"Lock hospital" was the name given to institutions treating venereal diseases. The original lock hospital was built in the Southwark region of London during the 12th century, and specialized in treating leprosy. The name was derived from the locks or rags which covered the patients' sores. By the 18th century, leprosy was no longer present in England and the hospital began treating patients with venereal diseases. The Southwark Lock Hospital closed in 1760 but the name lived on, and was used to identify the Lock Hospital in the Paddington area which also treated venereal diseases. It sat adjacent with a small field in between to the Paddington Workhouse, and served as its medical facility.
Source: Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.
Old Ordnance Survey Map of 1872
Click here to see more details 13 years later