BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)
This small square, named after the Duke of Manchester, was laid out in 1776-88. A church was planned for the center, but never built. At one end of the square is the Hertford House (see figure). The 2nd Marquess of Hertford who owned the house was an avid art collector. Following the French Revolution, he actively purchased art in France and by 1855 had created an outstanding collection of French paintings, sculpture and furniture. His house became a national museum in 1900.
Sir Julius Benedict (1804-85), the composer, lived at No. 2 Manchester Square in 1845-85.
Source: Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.
Old Ordnance Survey Map of 1870
Click here to see more details 11 years later