BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)
The Middlesex House of Correction was first built in 1794 as the Cold Bath Fields Prison. The name came from a local well of cold water, discovered in 1697. The prison was know for its severe punishment, including hard labor and periods of silence, although the sentences tended to be short.
By the mid-nineteenth century, the name had been changed to the Middlesex House of Correction. The facility was closed in 1877 and demolished in 1889. The house of correction is shown below in 1859, earlier in 1846, and later in 1871.
Source: Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.
Cruchley's Map of 1846
Click here to see more details 13 years earlier
Old Ordnance Survey Map of 1871
Click here to see more details 12 years later