BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)

North Villa was built for Thomas Lennard on the eastern side of Regent's Park  by Charles Robert Cockerell and Decimus Burton in 1827. The villa was originally called Albany Cottage, implying a smaller house, although it was never a mere cottage.  The home was occupied by Thomas Raikes, tenant to Lennard from late 1820s to 1829 and resident when drawn in 1829 by Thomas Hosmer Shepherd (see below). The name was changed to North Villa by the mid-1830s.  From 1830-60, the villa was home to Major General Sir William Miles who had served in the first Burmese war. 

North Villa is seen in the middle right of cell G8 of Reynold's map. 

LOCATION IN 1859 REYNOLDS MAP 

(Quarter Mile Section - G 8)

Sources

Saunders A. The Regent's Park Villas, 1981.

Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.

View of North Villa in 1829

Click here to see image 30 years earlier

Old Ordnance Survey Map of 1868

Click here to see more details nine years later