BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)

Park Crescent started as a plan of John Nash in 1812 to have a large circle serve as the main entrance to Regent's Park.  Only a semi-circle was built, however, and that was Park Crescent.  The work started in 1812, stopped when the builder went bankrupt, but finished in 1818 by builders William Richardson, Samuel Baxter and Henry Peto. 

A bronze statue was erected in the center section of Park Crescent of the Duke of Kent (1767-1820), fourth son of King George III and father of Queen Victoria.  Nash's modern but non-ornamental design style, as evident in Park Crescent, was commented on by James Elmes, a prominent writer and lecturer on art and architecture:

Now let us pass round one side of Park Crescent, and, as the sun is darting his hottest beams upon us, the eastern quadrant will be the more shady of the two. The great size of this semicircle of mansions is more imposing in effect than the details are choice in selection, which is the prevailing vice of Mr. Nash's style. He comprehends a whole, he grasps the extremities, he achieves variety -- that variety and intricacy which the accomplished Sir Joshua Reynolds considered as a beauty and excellence worthy of being adopted into architecture: but he sees not the detail, he either neglects it or despise it, and certainly does not look at his art with a microscopic eye.  He does not finish in architecture like Denner or the Dutch masters in painting; but to pursue the analogy; designs like a painter in fresco, and thinks with Michaelangelo, that a finished or exquisite detail in architecture is like oil painting in the sister art, fit employment only for women and children.

- James Elmes, 1829

The location in the 1859 map is in the upper center of cell I12.  

LOCATION IN 1859 REYNOLDS MAP

(Quarter Mile Section - I 12)

Sources

Elmes J. Metropolitan Improvements or London in the Nineteenth Century, 1829.

Porter R. London -- A Social History, 1998. 

Richardson J. The Annals of London, 2000.

Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.

View of Park Crescent in 1829

Click here to see 30 years earlier

Old Ordnance Survey Maps of 1870

Click here to see more details 11 years later