BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)

The green gets its name from the parsonage or rectory, first mentioned in 1391, which stood on its western side. Parsons Green was considered to be the aristocratic part of Fulham, with many notable homes.  At its south-east corner, the green had a large pond dating back to 1559.  A pleasure fair was held here every August, starting with the reign of William III (1650-1702) and ending in 1823 when it was suppressed by the local magistrates.  

LOCATION IN 1859 REYNOLDS MAP

(Quarter Mile Section - V 3)

 

Source: Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.