BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)

Built on a market garden in 1830, the square was named after Paultons, Hampshire, the country seat of George Stanley, the son-in-law of Sir Hans Sloane.  It was included as part of the Sloane Stanley Estate, as was the Sloane Square.

LOCATION IN 1859 REYNOLDS MAP

(Quarter Mile Section - S 7)

 

Source: Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.

Old Ordnance Survey Map of 1865

Click here to see more details six years later