BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)

The terms "mews" refers to a group of buildings originally containing private stables.  The Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace was built in 1824-5 for carriages and carriage horses to be used by Royalty. Housed at the Royal Mews was the The Irish State Coach, made in Dublin in 1851 by the Mr. Hutton, Lord Mayor of Dublin, who was also a coachbuilder.  The coach was bought by Queen Victoria for the opening of Parliament in 1852.

LOCATION IN 1859 REYNOLDS MAP

(Quarter Mile Section - O 12)

 

Source: Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.

Site in Davies' London Map of 1843

Click here to see more details 16 years earlier

Irish State Coach in 1852 

Click here to see Queen Victoria's coach

Site in Stanford's Map of 1862

Click here to see more details three years later

Old Ordnance Survey Map of 1869

Click here to see more details 10 years later