BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)
The Asylum was a boarding school for children who were orphans or in need of the Army's charity. It was formed in 1803 with the name "The Royal Military Asylum for Children of Soldiers of the Regular Army" and remained at its location until 1895. Thereafter the name of the school was changed to The Duke of York's Royal Military School and relocated to above the cliffs of Dover between Folkstone and Dover.
(Quarter Mile Section - R 10)
Source: Cockerill, AW. The history of the Royal Military Asylum, 1803-1895 (internet).
Old Ordnance Survey Map of 1869
Click here to see more details 10 years later