BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)

"Toxophilite" is the Greek term for "bow lover" and is used to describe archers.  In 1781, the Toxophilite Society was formed at Leicester House in Leicester Square.  Later in 1787, the name was changed under the patronage of the Prince of Wales (later George IV, see figure) to the Royal Toxophilite Society.  Thereafter the headquarters of the organization were moved to Regency Park (seen on 1859 map as Toxophilite Society). The society became the Grand National Archery Society in 1861. 

The society name was spelled as Royal Toxopholite Society in the 1859 map, but correctly identified as Royal Toxophilite Society in the 1870 map.  

LOCATION IN 1859 REYNOLDS MAP

(Quarter Mile Section - H 11) 

Source: Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.

Old Ordnance Survey Map of 1870

Click here to see more details 11 years later