BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)
Built in 1817-18 for Charles August Tulk, this was the second villa to be occupied in Regent Park. The architect was John Raffield. Tulk moved out in 1821 and the house remained empty until John Maberley became resident in 1826. The house was known as Mr. Maberley's Villa in 1827 when drawn by Thomas Hosmer Shepherd (see below). In 1847-87, the house was owned by the Goldsmid family, headed by Sir Isaac Lyon Goldsmid (1778-1859). He was a financier whose work for Jewish emancipation made possible the passage of the Jewish Disabilities Bill of 1859, granting basic civil and political rights to Jews in Great Britain.
Goldsmid also worked for reform of the penal system and in 1826 was one of the founders of University of London, the school that John Snow would eventually attend. In 1841 he was made the first Jewish baronet. His son, Sir Francis Henry Goldsmid (1808-78), also lived at Saint John's Lodge and worked with his father for Jewish emancipation. Sir Francis was a Member of Parliament and the first Jewish barrister in England.
Anonymous. Encyclopedia Britannica, 2000.Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds).
Saunders A. The Regent's Park Villas, 1981.
Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.