Shown here are the two locations in 1844 of the South London Waterworks.  The headquarters (and engine) is by the base of the Vauxhall Bridge and the two reservoirs are in Kennington to the North of The Oval. While the locations are correct, the name of the water company is wrong, having been renamed the Vauxhall Waterworks Company in 1834.  The headquarters and reservoirs sites were sold to the Phoenix Gas Company in 1847, two years after the Vauxhall Waterworks Company merged with the Lambeth Water Company to become the Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company.

Source: Laurie's Plan of London, Westminster and Southwark, surveyed by John Outhett, published by Richard Holmes Laurie, 1844.

Return to South London Waterworks Company