The 1830 map shows the headquarters (two reservoirs were located a short distance away in Kennington by the Oval) of the South London Waterworks four years before it was renamed the Vauxhall Waterworks Company in 1834. Nine years later in 1845, the renamed Vauxhall Waterworks Company merged with the Southwark Water Company to become the Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company.  Around the same time, the Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company sold the property of the old South London Waterworks to the Phoenix Gas Company and moved to Battersea. 

Source: Greenwood C and Greenwood J. Greenwood Map of London, 1830.

Return to Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company