The Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company in March 1855 built a reservoir in South London between Peckham Rye and Nunhead Cemetery.  Because of the added pumping needs of this reservoir and the new reservoirs in Hampton, the company in late 1858 erected at Battersea the largest engine ever made for water supply in London.  While the Nunhead reservoir was built in 1855, it does not appear on London maps until many years later.  

Sources:

Dickinson HW. Water Supply of Greater London, 1954.

Stanford's Map of Central London 1897. View Stanford's map at: MAPCO: Map And Plan Collection Online

Return to Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company