BRIEF HISTORY DURING THE SNOW ERA (1813-58)
The east side of Tavistock Square was built by James Burton in 1803, including the Tavistock House where Charles Dickens (1812-1870) lived from 1851-60. The remainder of the square was built by Thomas Cubitt in 1820-26. The square was named after Marquess of Tavistock, the Duke of Bedford. Dickens lived in part of the Tavistock House and wrote during those years Bleak House, Little Dorrit, Hard Times, A Tale of Two Cities, and part of Great Expectations. He built a little theater in the garden by Tavistock House, where he also acted. Charles Gounod (1818-1893), the operatic composer, also lived for a while in Tavistock House.
Rennison N. The London Blue Plaque Guide, 1999.
Weinreb B, Hibbert C (eds). The London Encyclopaedia, 1993.