The Lambeth Waterworks Company office and reservoirs are at the
center of the 1870 Old Ordnance Survey map. By 1870, it was common for water companies to employ
filtration and to use covered reservoirs. Adjacent to the company is the
Brixton Prison, built in 1819-20. The Lambeth company in 1836 had sold
some of their land to the prison, which at that time was in private hands.
Later in the 1853, the prison was sold to the government.
Source: Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Brixton and Herne Hill, 1870.
Return to Lambeth Reservoirs