SQUARES

Three squares, or small urban parks, were often visited by Dr. Snow during his life. The squares identified the region of the city, and gave special character to the various neighborhoods.

Soho Square

Soho Square is south of Oxford Street and west of Charing Cross Road,on the north-eastern extremity of the Soho region. It is just outside the neighborhood identified by Dr. Snow in his classic investigation of the Broad Street pump outbreak. It is, however, close to his first two homes. The square was granted by Charles II and Henrietta Maria to the Earl of St Albans. It was laid out in the 1680's and called 'King Square' in honor of Charles II, with his statue at the centre of the gardens. The statue was later removed and a small Tudor-style house was erected on the site. In 1938 the statue of Charles II was restored to the square and stands nearby. Click here for a closer view of the Tudor-style house near to the entrance to Bateman's Buildings where John Snow first lived as a London medical student.

Coming into Soho square from Frith street, we follow more than 150 years later in the footsteps of John Snow.  

A sign at the entrance shows the square during the middle of the eighteenth century, and offers a brief history. 

At the edge of Soho square is the former Hospital for Women (see below), build in 1851 one year before Dr. Snow moved from Frith Street to his more affluent Sackville Street address. 

The hospital claimed to be the "first institution established in this or any other country exclusively for the treatment of those maladies which neither rank, wealth nor character avert from the female sex."

Golden Square

The Golden Square is east of Regent Street and north of Piccadilly Circus.  It is about four blocks from the Broad Street pump where cholera cases were common, but experienced few cholera cases during the famous 1854 outbreak, due perhaps to higher quality water in the pumps that served the area.  A sign at the edge of the square presents the history of the region, including several pictures from the mid-1700s.

 

The square has a statue in the center of a mythical figure, Georgiys II, who is said to represent Charles II (see below).

Hanover Square

Hanover Square lies west of Regent Street and south of Oxford Street, outside by a short distance of the Soho region. It was here in 1850 that Dr. Snow and others met to form the London Epidemiological Society, perhaps in a building shown in red on the map (see below).

Like many small parks, Hanover Square has a sign at the entry that describes its history.

The building in the background is possibly where Dr. Snow and others held their now famous organizational meetings (see to the right). For a clearer view of this important building, click here.

Hanover square was surrounded then, as now, by spacious houses and businesses, reflecting the wealth and popularity of the region in which it is located.

THE BROAD STREET PUMP (click to continue)

Return to John Snow site