By 1870, the company had installed two reservoirs and five filter beds on its 18 acre Battersea site. It was no longer drawing water from the adjacent River Thames, but rather since 1855 had the intake near Hampton, 21 miles upriver.  The reservoirs, filter beds and new intake all greatly improved the quality of its water.  

The Old Ordnance Map of 1870 illustrates the changes in the facility (see below).  The railroad bridge is now shown as the Victoria Bridge, to the east of the Chelsea Suspension Bridge.

In 1933 the operation of the original Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company, as extended by the Metropolitan Water Board after 1902, ended with the establishment of the Battersea Power Station. Yet it too is no longer in operation, and now remains disused at the edge of the river.  The Chelsea Bridge is still there, as is the rail bridge, but the latter is now the Grosvenor Bridge (see at right).  

Finally, a current photo shows where the Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company had been (see below), with the Grosvenor Bridge appearing in the background to the right. 

  

Southwark and Vauxhall (continued)

Click here to see more on the Hampton location of the Southwark and Vauxhall company after 1855.

Return to Map of Water Companies

Source: Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Battersea and Clapham, 1870.

Return to Location of Water Companies site

Return to John Snow site