The tidal portion of the River Thames was no
longer acceptable as a source of public water following the 1852 Water
Metropolis Act. Thus over time the Southwark and Vauxhall Company
established new works at Hampton to supply much of West and South
Shown here in 1894 is the Hampton location of the
Southwark and Vauxhall Company, just to the north of the River Thames.
Shown in red at the left edge of the map is the engine house, built in 1853-5,
and two more engine houses built in 1867-70 and 1885-6 which are linked by a
long boiler house. South of these buildings are the filter beds, not
established until 1867 and later. Thus they were not present during the
life of Dr. John Snow.
Griffiths J. Hampton, 1894, The Godfrey Edition, London
Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Hampton, 1894.
Return to Southwark and Vauxhall Water
Return to Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company
Return to John Snow site