Cell B 3                                   SOUTHWARK WATER WORKS

The Southwark Water Company merged in 1845 with the Vauxhall Water Company, to form the Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company (S&V). Therefore the designation of Southwark Water Works in the 1856 map was an error.  The map correctly acknowledges the "36 inch iron main" which brings water from Hampton to the local S&V reservoir at Battersea (see cell C 1).  The Hampton site was established by the Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company in 1855, the year before the map was produced. 

Return to Cell B3