|The Southwark Water Works used
to be located at the south end of the old London Bridge, pumping water
with a waterwheel attached to the arches of the bridge. When the
new London Bridge was built in 1831, the waterwheel was abandoned.
Thereafter water was pumped directly from the River Thames just west of
the bridge, until 1845 when the company merged with the Vauxhall Water
Works and moved to the location near Battersea Park. The former
site of the Southwark Water Works is no longer shown in the 1856 map.
Return to Cell B4